BBQ Pulled Black Pearl King Trumpet Sandwiches
Pulled mushrooms are the perfect alternative for sandwiches, bowls, poutine, tacos, nachos, and so much more. Oh, let’s not forget pizza. These sandwiches have all the flavor of pulled pork and are topped with a deliciously crunchy slaw. We guarantee you won’t miss the pork!
Makes: 2 servings
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (12-ounce) bag coleslaw mix (see recipe notes)
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon granulated garlic
12 ounces Black Pearl King Trumpet Mushrooms
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
3-4 tablespoons bottled barbecue sauce
Burger Buns, toasted
Sliced pickles, optional
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- For the slaw, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until smooth. This makes a scant 1-1/2 cups of dressing, so you will have a little extra.
- In a medium bowl, toss coleslaw mix with 1 cup of the dressing. If you are making coleslaw ahead of time, hold dressing and slaw mix separately in the refrigerator until serving time. This way the slaw will be fresh and crunchy.
- For the mushrooms, combine onion powder and granulated garlic in a small bowl. Slice mushroom stipe (stems) and caps into shreds. Place in a medium bowl. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil over mushrooms and mix with hands to evenly coat. Toss mushrooms with onion powder and granulated garlic. Evenly spread mushrooms on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes to dry out the mushrooms (mushrooms will shrink during cooking).
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a skillet. Add shredded mushrooms. Stir in your favorite barbecue sauce and heat through.
- Remove from heat and serve in burger buns with coleslaw and pickles.
- You can use other mushrooms, including king oyster and tree oyster. King oyster mushrooms easily shred using a fork. Tree oyster mushrooms are smaller and don’t need to be shredded. For the larger tree oysters, tear in half with your hands.
- To make this dish vegan or free from the top 9 allergens, substitute Follow Your Heart’s Soy-Free Vegenaise for the mayonnaise.
- If you opt to shred your own veggies for the slaw, you will need 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about ½ medium cabbage), 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about ¼ medium cabbage), and 2 cups grated or julienne cut carrots (about 2 medium).