Crispy Air-Fried Grey Oyster Mushrooms
Makes: 4 servings
½ cup – All-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1 tsp – garlic powder
1 tsp – salt
¼ tsp – black pepper
½ cup – cornmeal
½ cup – panko or breadcrumbs
1 cup – unsweetened alternative milk (such as hemp, almond, or cashew)
2 tablespoons – apple cider vinegar
2 heaping cups – grey oyster mushrooms (about 6 ounces trimmed)
Olive oil cooking spray, as needed
- Trim mushrooms from the central stipe (stem) and wipe clean with a damp paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix together cornmeal and panko; set aside.
- Stir together milk and vinegar in a medium bowl to make vegan buttermilk. Add the mushrooms and coat with buttermilk. Let them marinate for 2 minutes. Since mushrooms absorb liquid like sponges, only marinate 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, spoon mushrooms out of the buttermilk (saving the buttermilk).
- To set up your breading station, if you are right-handed, line up your ingredients from left to right in the following order: mushrooms, seasoned flour, buttermilk, cornmeal/panko mixture. Reversing the pans, left-handed cooks will work from right to left.
- Preheat air fryer to 390-degrees F.
- Dip each mushroom in flour to coat, gently shaking off excess. Dip once more in buttermilk, then in cornmeal/panko mixture to completely coat. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Spray the bottom of your air fry pan lightly with oil. Lightly spray top of mushrooms with oil and place in a single layer (oil side up) leaving space between mushrooms. Cook in 2 batches for 5-6 minutes each, until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce, on top of a salad, or as a side for dinner.
- These could also be baked in an oven preheated to 400-degrees F for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crisp and golden brown.
The recipe was made for Las Vegas Mushrooms by YourAllergyChefs.com and is subject to copyright. Please contact us for usage.