Lions Mane “Lobster” Rolls
Aside from making “crab” cakes, lions mane mushrooms are perfect for “lobster” rolls as well due to its texture and flavors.
Makes: 2 servings
6-8 ounces Lions Mane mushrooms, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 tablespoon mayonnaise or Follow Your Heart Soy Free Veganaise
1/4 cup finely diced celery (about 1 stalk)
2 tablespoon finely diced red onion
2 teaspoons minced chives, plus additional for garnish
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon nori crumbles (nori sheet cut into small pieces)
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14-oz) can hearts of palm, drained
2 split top hot dog buns, hoagie or French rolls
- Drain hearts of palm. Slice on the diagonal and shred with fingers. Set aside 1 cup.
- Dice celery.
- Dice red onions and place in small bowl of ice water for 15 minutes; drain.
- Mince chives.
- Zest lemon; juice lemon.
- Cut a nori sheet into small pieces with kitchen scissors or shears.
- Cut lions mane mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat oil over medium to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook mushroom slices, searing each side about 2 minutes, until tender. Drain on paper towels. When cool, shred into nice chunks with forks or fingers. You should have about 1 heaping cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, celery, red onion, chives, lemon juice, zest, nori, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup shredded hearts of palm and mushrooms. Gently combine. Refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Divide filling between 2 toasted buns. Garnish with additional chopped chives.